Organizations are increasingly adopting new rich-media business and collaboration technologies. Video loads networks—and it radically changes the demands on the network. Medianet is a network optimized for rich media that provides intelligent services in order to scale, optimize, and enhance the performance of video, voice, and data. Cisco® capabilities for medianet enable businesses to achieve the full value of business and collaboration applications by providing optimal user experiences while reducing complexity and costs.
What is Medianet?
It is an end-to-end IP architecture that enables pervasive and quality rich-media experiences. Medianet combines a smarter network, smarter endpoints with medianet technology embedded into network elements and endpoints. A medianet has the following characteristics:
• Media-aware: Can detect and optimize different media and application types (telepresence, video surveillance, desktop collaboration, and streaming media) to deliver the best experience
• Endpoint-aware: Automatically detects and configures media endpoints
• Network-aware: Can detect and respond to changes in device, connection, and service availability
What Problems Does It Help Solve?
With the increasing adoption of video and rich-media applications, media-optimized networks address challenges associated with the transmission of video and rich media over the network, including ensuring predictability, performance, quality, security, and mobility.
Traditional IP networks are not well-equipped to deal with interactive and real-time requirements, making delivery and quality of media unpredictable and increasing complexity for network operators and managers.
Technologies such as Cisco Medianet help address these challenges by accelerating deployment of applications, minimizing complexity and ongoing operating costs, and helping to scale the infrastructure for the best user quality of experience (QoE).
What Are the Benefits of a Medianet?
A medianet has built-in intelligence to address the unique challenges of video and rich media by providing:
• Enhanced video performance and end-user QoE over the network
• Simplified installation and management of video endpoints
• Faster troubleshooting for voice, data, and video applications
• Ability to assess effect of video, voice, and data in your network